1. IMPORTANT. This statement is to help you understand how and why we collect, use & protect your personal information you provide to us.
We require that you confirm you have understood the contents and that if you proceed to make contact, request a quotation &/or insure that confirms that you have given us permission as follows.
We are only able to provide a service of any nature with your explicit consent for the collection & use of such sensitive data as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998 & the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, it being a condition that by providing your personal information to us you consent to its processing in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Where you give us information about another person you confirm by doing so that they have given you permission to provide it to us to be able to process their personal data including any sensitive personal data and that you have explained who we are and what we use the data for. You should also show this notice to any other party related to this insurance.
2. We collect your/their personal information when you contact us for a quotation, to ask a question, make an amendment or make a claim either by phone, post, email or use of our website. It is used to process all insurance services and may be retained on manual or computer records.
3. The personal information we collect includes: Name(s), date & place of birth, nationality, occupation, claims history, criminal convictions.
4. We may also monitor or record calls, emails and other communications in accordance with UK law including: Processing necessary for entering into or performance of a contract and protecting your vital interests; Quality control & training including ensuring effective systems operations; Prevention of unauthorised use of our systems & websites, telephones and similar; Prevention or detection of crime or attempt thereat; Meeting legal or statutory obligations such as H.M.Treasury (O.F.C.) etc; For the legitimate interests of the data controller as explained on www.ico.org.uk.
5. All personal information will be held in the strictest confidence & used only for the purposes for which we collect it.
If you wish us to remove any personal information from our records please write in the first instance with your request to: Data Controller, Newton Crum Insurance Agents Ltd. Droxford House, Charles Road, St. Leonards-on-Sea, TN38 0JU, where we will make all reasonable efforts to delete your information from our files if it is deemed appropriate. Similarly, if you wish us to amend/correct any information held please contact Data Controller with details.
You can similarly write to the Data Controller to obtain details of the personal information that we may hold about you, give your full details & policy number and tell us what information you would like. In both instances we will take steps to confirm your identity before providing details so require 2 forms of identification such as copy of driving license, passport or other document containing your photo and signature and a copy of a recent utility bill confirming your address.
6. We use your information for the purposes of assessing your insurance, maintaining & managing your account including renewals & amendments and processing any claim made together with any regulatory filings we are required to make. In addition, we may forward your information to our Underwriters or an insurance associate for managing or quoting your account + our Auditors to manage audit compliance.
7. We do not as a rule deal with any person not directly named in the policy or proposal on which it is based whether a spouse, partner or parent without your written consent (note where a boat is owned or managed by a minor it is necessary for a parent or guardian to be named in the contract for legal reasons). If you would like someone else to deal with your insurance or a claim on your behalf – please let us know so the appropriate authority form can be sent to you.
8. Confidentiality. We use our utmost endeavours to treat your personal information as private & confidential, only being required to disclose information in the following exceptional situations required or permitted by law or other situations such as: Where we are legally compelled to do so; Where disclosure is required to protect our interest; Where there is a duty to the public to disclose &/or is made with your consent or request. In addition, if we employ agents or sub contractors to process your personal information on our behalf the same duty of confidentiality & security applies to them and all processing is carried out under our instruction. If you need to make a complaint about the service, we have provided we may be obliged to forward details about your complaint including your personal information to the relevant authority/Ombudsman/etc. where they are similarly obliged to adhere to the Data Protection Act & keep your personal information strictly confidential.
9. If you make a claim on your policy we may need to discuss your personal information with the insurance provider including disclosing information also with any other party involved in that claim including Third Parties &/or their insurer, legal representative or claim agent. If necessary, we or insurers may also have to investigate your claims &/or conviction history in the course of administering any claim – such investigations being strictly confidential. Although we do not provide credit as part of our service it may be necessary in processing a claim to contact a Credit Reference Agency for client verification and fraud prevention. Also, if false or inaccurate information given or we suspect identity fraud we may record it and pass this information to a Fraud Prevention Agency or similar organisations involved in the prevention of crime or fraud.
10. Credit/Debit cards processing it is necessary to disclose your personal information to validate your card details and obtain payment.
11. Security. We use industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology and process data on a secure server (note closed padlock showing on your browser). Some computers may have a firewall which may prevent you from connecting to our secure server to get a quote etc. If it does not connect to our site, please speak to your IT administrator to remedy. Note that e-mails are not secure unless they have been encrypted, and we cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
12. Export of Data. We do not knowingly transfer your personal information to associates or service providers located outside the UK. Should any change in operations arise which requires us to do so we will take every possible step to ensure that you privacy rights are protected and respected.
13. We reserve the right to amend or modify this Privacy Statement at any time in response to changes in applicable law or rules. We further retain the right to disclose your personal information to third parties in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets subject always to the strict secure and confidential terms noted above.
14. Website links to other sites. We provide those for convenience and inclusion of any link does not imply endorsements in any way of the site to which it links nor of its safety or security. We are not responsible for any material on or linked to this site by any third party. We are not responsible for data policies & procedures of other website links. Note we do not undertake Direct Marketing activities nor is any data made public by us.
15. Data is retained where required by law, tax, audit or health & safety purposes as long as relevant. Data not resulting in insurance being concluded will be retained for 12 months only or on request be erased within 2 working days; where insurance is provided data will be kept for 7 years after expiry of cover or 7 years after conclusion of last claim or subsequent correspondence thereon.
Newton Crum Insurance Agents Ltd.